Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Step Into My Week 10.15

I think I’ve put off writing about this past week since I am still catching up on sleep from how busy it ended up being. We hosted a big event in Birmingham for work, which meant that I had a seven day work week and am trying to stay on track this week so that I can fully recover this weekend. Event aside, I still had regular tasks that needed to be accomplished, and at this point, I’m struggling to even remember what I did each day since it is all starting to run together. I’ve done my best to separate what I was up to from day to day and share that with y’all.

Monday was about as normal as it got, although I had a meeting in the afternoon that I had to be “on” for. I spent most of the day trying to get ahead on social posts for the week and sending out complimentary copies to the people who helped us with many of our Christmas issues. After work, I met a friend who recently moved to Birmingham to go for a walk and hear about her job search. From there, I headed home to try to get ahead on some blog work and get in bed at a decent hour.

I spent Tuesday continuing to get ahead, knowing that I’d be away from my desk from Wednesday afternoon on. I was able to work outside in the afternoon as I completed some of our resources for the last of our Christmas issues for the season. After work, I went to true40 to workout before heading home to shower, eat, get some blog tasks done, and go to sleep.

Wednesday was not what I expected it would be given that I spent a little bit of time at my desk before going downstairs to assist with arranging some of the flower arrangements for our event. One of my teammates and I ended up then taking those to our CEO's house for the kickoff of the event on Thursday evening. Since I was working all weekend, I was able to leave work a little bit earlier on Wednesday and had time to go to Trader Joe’s before changing and making it to a 4:30 true40 class. That night my roommate and I invited our bible study to our house for a fellowship night where we enjoyed chili on our back deck since the weather is finally cooling down in Birmingham! Our friends stayed until close to 9:00, and we cleaned up before heading to bed. 

Thursday was a FULL day, and I was running between the hotel, our CEO’s house, and the office to gather supplies and prepare for the VIP dinner taking place that evening. We transformed our CEO’s house with tables filled with different china, floral arrangements, and more. By the time we finished that it was time to change for the dinner and head back to our CEO’s house to prepare the food for the event. Our team plated the catered meal, filled glasses of wine, and served the meal while mingling with the attendees. Our CEO spoke and played the piano, and once the guests headed out, it was time to clean up. I ended up getting home around 10:30 and was exhausted.

Since I didn’t shower the night before, I showered Friday morning before grabbing a cup of coffee before heading to the office to load up three of our vans with the remainder of the supplies needed for the event. I have never taken so many trips up and down a service elevator in my life and am glad to have a break from that for a while. I don’t even remember what other tasks I did that day before the event officially began that evening. The owner of Vietri was our guest speaker that evening after the dinner, and it was so interesting to hear the story of how her company got started. Once that finished, we re-set gifts for the following day and helped set up the pop-up boutique that would be opening on Saturday.

I had to be back to the hotel early on Saturday morning to finish up some last-minute tasks before the breakfast and demonstration by Dorothy McDaniel’s Floral Market that morning. After Dorothy’s demo, we had comedian Jeanne Robertson speak, which had everyone in stitches. After she was finished, the pop-up boutique began, and most of our team was finally able to grab lunch close to 3:00. We headed back to the hotel to get some more work done before changing for the gala event taking place that evening with Lori of Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta as our keynote. Once everyone was in the ballroom for the seated dinner, our team devoured some cheese straws and sipped on wine before heading in to hear Lori talk. By the time everyone was out of the space and we re-set everything for the morning, we were starving, and our editor ordered quesadillas from the hotel bar for us to eat after we had finished. At that point, it was after 10:00, and we happily ate our quesadillas sitting criss-cross applesauce on the floor. I made it home that evening around 11:30 and immediately got in bed, given how early I needed to be up in the morning.

Sunday felt like the light at the end of the tunnel, even though I had to be back at the hotel before 7:00. We had two demonstrations that morning, and the event finally ended around 12:00. Since we loaded up lots of stuff that morning, we were able to leave around 12:45 with a quick trip back to the office to unload one of the vans before I finally went home for the weekend. I showered, put laundry away, and ate before taking an ideal nap since it was cold and rainy outside. I slept for about 30 minutes and then moved to the couch to watch Hocus Pocus, eat dinner, and fall asleep before 8:00. 

I hope that next week, my Step Into My Week posts has a lot less work in it and some more fun activities. Regardless, I hope y’all had a great week, and thank you for being so patient with me and my lack of updates toward the end of last week! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished