Oftentimes applying makeup in the summer is the last thing I want to do. With the sweltering summer heat it sometimes feels like it will sweat right off making it seem like a complete waste of time. Because of this, sometimes I won't put anything on (especially if I'm spending the day at the beach) but for those days I need to look more polished before leaving the house I have come up with a makeup routine that lasts all day long even on days when the temperature is in the upper nineties.
Another thing to note is that I am definitely not a pro nor do I attempt to pretend to be. I like my makeup to look pretty natural and just freshen up my face and being able to apply everything quickly is another major plus to me. The routine below shows the products I use on a semi daily basis however, if my skin is pretty clear sometimes I'll just use concealer or powder and won't have to worry about any foundation. This is also the routine I use when preparing for blog photos so if you're interested in seeing how it looks all put together those photos are a good way to judge as well as the video I've included at the end of this post.
1. Moisturize. Instead of using a primer I like to use this Cetaphil moisturizer to help prep my skin for makeup. It is great for sensitive skin and can be used all over so it's an all around great product to have on hand in your bathroom.
2. Eyeliner. I don't tend to want my eyeliner to look too harsh but I do appreciate how it can make your eyes pop. This navy eyeliner from Stila does just that and looks great when applied to your upper waterline before applying mascara.
3. Mascara 1 & Mascara 2. I like to use a combination of two mascaras when it comes to making my eyelashes look longer. I start with Bobbi Brown's Eye Opening mascara to make my lashes look thicker and finish with L'Oreal's Voluminous Million Lashes to add a bit of length and separate the strands.
4. Foundation. Next up it's time to even out my skin time. I recently discovered this Covergirl Ready, Set, Gorgeous Foundation and it is by far the best drugstore foundation I've tried. It blends in really well and provides an even amount of coverage.
5. Coverup. For any blemishes or dark circles I like to take Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind Concealer stick and apply it to any area that may need a little extra attention. I blend the concealer out with my fingers and find that it is liquid-y enough to be fine even on dryer patches of skin.
6. Powder. I have used Bare Minerals powder ever since I started wearing makeup. It is great to use all over your face on it's own or to set the rest of your makeup. It's lightweight enough to make sure that your face doesn't look cakey as well.
7. Bronze. In the summer especially everyone is looking for a bit of a summer glow. This bronzer by Pixi is great because the light brown color doesn't make your face look muddy but provides a bit of color to help you look a little tanner.
8. Blush. A little color on your cheeks always helps to make you look more polished. My favorite is Bobbi Brown's blush in Desert Pink. I apply it directly to the apples of my cheeks and a little excess to my nose in order to freshen up my face.
9. Highlight. Using a highlighter is a great way to get that summer glow and this Laura Mercier highlighter is the best way to achieve that. Applying it at the top of your cheek bones gives you a naturally glowing look.
10. Lip Salve. I hate when my lips are dry but don't feel the need to apply some sort of lip color each day. That is where Smith's Rose Lip Salve comes in to save the day. It does a great job of moisturizing without feeling the least bit sticky.
Here is a look at exactly how I apply this makeup look for you to reference in case you're wanting to see any of these products in action.
I'd love to know which makeup products are your favorite for the summer!