Want to know something crazy? This is my last full week as a college freshman. I can not wrap my head around this fact and honestly it kind of terrifies me! I would love for all the school work and assignments to be over but freshman year can stay a bit longer! Somehow, in these next few weeks we have multiple days off meaning I won't have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday all together until I come back and am considered a sophomore.
Furman is without a doubt the perfect place for me and I am reminded of that each day while being here. I have had an amazing freshman experience so far and now I know why they say time flies when you are having fun. Not every experience has been a blast but that is what inspired this post. With the help of my lovely roommate (but actually, she is the best) we came up with a list of things we have discovered so far in college. College is definitely a period of growth and development where between each experience you either learn something about yourself or how to handle different situations and encounters you may experience. Either way, you are learning and I would love to share what I have learned thus far with y'all. Lots of these things apply to life in general but sit back and enjoy a few funny memories and some of the advice I would give myself if I were able to do it again.
College is supposedly the best time of your life and I can't wait to continue living it up and making the most of it!
1. What happened in high school stays in high school.
2. There is more to it than the Facebook pictures.
3. You'll make friends a lot faster than you think.
4. You are bound to worry about things that aren't that big of a deal.
5. Taking risks is the only way you will know what you are capable of.
6. You'll greatly appreciate your own bed, not wearing shower shoes, and a home cooked family meal (when you come home on breaks).
7. You will give advice on things and situations you have no experience with.
8. Backstalking Facebook photos is a sport and a hobby (get ready for it to happen to you).
9. You will always have someone to relate to.
10. Late night snack outings are always acceptable and so are spontaneous dance parties.
11. It isn't about comparing your year to someone else's, make your freshman year your own.
12. People will tell you the year goes by fast but you have no idea how true that is until it's over.
Originally I was going to include details about each of these things I have learned into this post but I don't want y'all to have to scroll through a novel just to get through all of these. Instead, I am going to make separate posts on each of these topics because I have so much to say and think this would be great to share with y'all (if y'all want!). Check back for the next few Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to hear my takes on each of these discoveries.
Disclaimer | These are things I have personally realized during my freshman year and will not necessarily be true for everyone. If these don't apply to you then maybe some of the tidbits in the individual posts will help you to understand or enjoy the discoveries you are having on your own! I don't mean for this to be me bragging about finding the right fit of a school for myself and if you don't have as enjoyable of a time then it is always ok to transfer! I just hope that you will understand that this is a great way for me to relate to anyone else experiencing similar situations as well as remember each year of my experience in college! Also, I promise I am not turning my blog into a self help and advice column even if it may seem that way at the moment!
I would love to hear what you think or what discoveries you have made during whatever stage of your life that you are going through.